Nouvelles recettes

Les nouveaux magasins écologiques de Subway poursuivent leurs efforts « verts »

Les nouveaux magasins écologiques de Subway poursuivent leurs efforts « verts »


Subway a récemment ouvert cinq nouveaux « éco-restaurants » conçus pour réduire la consommation d'énergie, d'eau et de déchets de manière rentable.

Les ouvertures portent à 14 le nombre total d'éco-restaurants de Subway, basé à Milford, dans le Connecticut, sur ses quelque 34 000 unités. D'autres sites intègrent également des éléments écologiques, a déclaré Elizabeth Stewart, directrice marketing de Subway et responsable des efforts de responsabilité sociale de l'entreprise.

"La construction écologique est importante pour toute l'industrie", a déclaré Stewart à Nation's Restaurant News. « Nous nous engageons à rendre nos opérations aussi responsables que possible sur le plan environnemental et social, jusqu'au niveau du magasin. » Les normes vertes ont été officiellement intégrées dans la planification des activités de Subway depuis 2007, a-t-elle déclaré.

Le coût « dépend du franchisé et de l'emplacement qu'il construit », a déclaré Stewart. «Certains franchisés s'y mettent avec toutes les cloches et tous les sifflets. D'autres pourraient ne pas. Par exemple, un tube solaire pour l'éclairage peut être plus cher qu'une autre technologie.

Le franchisé Burhan Ghanayem, un scientifique à la retraite en santé environnementale, et son frère Marwan Ghanayem ont récemment ouvert deux éco-restaurants à Cary et Durham, en Caroline du Nord. Le U.S. Green Building Council a reconnu les deux restaurants avec la certification Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).

Burhan, qui possède un total de 10 unités Subway avec son frère, a déclaré que les éco-restaurants sont éducatifs, avec des éléments tels que des robinets à fermeture automatique dans les salles de bain.

"En fait, j'ai tellement appris en construisant mes deux premiers éco-restaurants que je veux rendre mon prochain encore plus vert", a-t-il déclaré.

Il prévoit au moins deux autres unités écologiques.

De nombreux franchisés qui ne peuvent pas reconstruire leurs restaurants intègrent des éléments verts dans leurs magasins, tels que des robinets et des toilettes à faible débit, des appareils économes en énergie, des lampes à détecteur de mouvement et des poubelles recyclables, a déclaré Stewart.

« Il est important pour nous de reconnaître la mise en place des meilleures solutions commerciales. Juste parce que nous avons une option verte, nous ne disons pas : « Allez-y », a-t-elle déclaré. « Nous recherchons vraiment des solutions qui, d'une part, permettent d'économiser de l'argent et, d'autre part, sont neutres en termes de coûts. Et le troisième est celui qui a un élément vert ou une caractéristique de durabilité, mais cela nécessite d'être dans le modèle commercial de quelqu'un pour le retour sur investissement.

Elle a ajouté : « Si quelqu'un veut installer des panneaux solaires, nous l'aiderons. » L'entreprise travaille avec des technologies de pointe au cas par cas, puis partage des idées avec d'autres franchisés du système.

Les économies de coûts se sont avérées les plus gratifiantes dans les équipements de chauffage et de climatisation et les systèmes d'éclairage économes en énergie, a déclaré Stewart, et Subway a travaillé avec des fournisseurs pour améliorer l'efficacité énergétique des fours, des congélateurs et des réfrigérateurs.

"Nous continuons d'augmenter le nombre de magasins écologiques", a-t-elle déclaré. « Nous continuons à travailler sur notre flux de déchets. Notre objectif est d'éliminer autant que possible notre flux de déchets, non seulement dans nos opérations quotidiennes, mais également dans nos déchets de construction et de rénovation.

« Parce que Subway est franchisé à 100 %, nous recherchons toujours la rentabilité du côté des franchisés et leur résultat net », a déclaré Les Winograd, un porte-parole de Subway. "L'une des raisons pour lesquelles cela est fait est de les aider à être plus efficaces et plus rentables."

Le franchisé George Estep a récemment ouvert un restaurant au volant indépendant à Kokomo, dans l'Indiana, entièrement construit à partir de matériaux recyclés. Le restaurant d'Estep comprend également un grand écran qui affiche la consommation d'énergie en temps réel dans le restaurant.

Deux nouvelles unités situées dans des aires de repos rénovées au large de Merritt Parkway à North Haven, dans le Connecticut, ont intégré des systèmes de collecte de lumière grâce à des panneaux solaires, une climatisation à haute efficacité et des usines qui ne nécessitent aucun entretien de l'eau.

Un métro qui ouvrira bientôt ses portes dans le centre étudiant de l'Université de Californie à Los Angeles comprendra même un toit-terrasse et un jardin.

Les clients ont réagi favorablement aux unités vertes.

"Ils apprécient d'en apprendre davantage sur les attributs de l'emplacement", a déclaré Stewart. "Certains franchisés ont indiqué qu'il y a des gens qui font tout leur possible pour venir dans leur magasin parce qu'ils sont plus écologiques."

- Ron Ruggless

Cliquez pour en savoir plus sur NRN.com


Métro de New York : cette merveille d'ingénierie avait également des architectes

LE système de métro, qui a ouvert ses portes il y a près de 100 ans, le 27 octobre 1904, est l'un des projets d'ingénierie les plus étonnants de New York - des kilomètres et des kilomètres de voies enfilées à travers un réseau dense de fondations de bâtiments, de sous-sols et d'eau, de gaz , conduites électriques et d'égouts. Mais c'était aussi un effort architectural - les kiosques de rue en fer de dentelle, les stations de métro en marbre et en tuiles soignées, les décorations délicates de carreaux de faïence. Et Heins & LaFarge étaient les architectes qui l'ont fait.

George L. Heins et Christopher Grant LaFarge se sont rencontrés en tant qu'étudiants au Massachusetts Institute of Technology vers 1880, puis ont travaillé dans le bureau d'architecture de Cass Gilbert. En 1886, ils fondent leur propre cabinet à New York. Ils ont fait de la conception pour le père de LaFarge, le peintre, artiste de vitraux et muraliste John LaFarge. Mais en 1891, ils n'avaient pas fait grand-chose lorsqu'ils ont soudainement trouvé du pétrole, remportant le concours pour l'église cathédrale de Saint-Jean-le-Dieu à Amsterdam Avenue et 112th Street.

Seuls des fragments de leur conception d'origine survivent - la cathédrale telle que construite est radicalement différente - mais leurs principaux éléments étaient une exposition plein sud, surplombant la ville depuis le site&# x27s high bluff une décoration byzantine de mosaïques et de peintures murales et un grand intérieur large, si différent des modèles gothiques anglais relativement étroits typiques des églises de l'époque.

L'année suivante, ils ont conçu la charmante église villageoise de la 91e rue et de l'avenue West End - maintenant l'église orthodoxe grecque de l'Annonciation. En 1896, ils ont obtenu une autre commande de prune, les bâtiments du zoo du Bronx, des temples néo-classiques pleins d'esprit ornés de têtes d'éléphants, de tortues, de cacatoès et d'autres animaux sauvages. Ils ont ensuite conçu plusieurs maisons de ville inhabituelles, comme la maison Bowen grecque / Renaissance au 5 East 63rd Street (1900) et la maison Bliss au 9 East 68th (1905), avec sa façade à colonnes géantes.

Au printemps 1900, Heins & LaFarge a rencontré le financier August Belmont, chef du consortium qui construisait le premier système de transport en commun souterrain de New York. Belmont a fait don d'une chapelle à St. John the Divine et a peut-être rencontré Heins & LaFarge grâce à cette connexion. En mars suivant, ils ont été nommés architectes pour la première ligne de métro, qui s'étendrait de l'hôtel de ville à Grand Central, en passant par Times Square et jusqu'à Broadway jusqu'à West 145th Street.

Pour un travail d'ingénierie aussi énorme, toute conception architecturale n'était guère plus qu'un habillage de fenêtre - les gares n'étaient même pas autonomes, comme elles le seraient avec un chemin de fer. Les architectes ont conçu les petits kiosques en fonte, en fil de fer et en verre au-dessus du sol aux entrées de la gare, et plusieurs abris en brique et en pierre au-dessus du sol, comme ceux de Bowling Green et de West 72nd Street. Bien que les abris semblent charmants aux yeux des modernes, ils ont été catégoriquement condamnés lors de leur construction. "Une misérable monstruosité quant à l'architecture", a écrit le New York Times dans un éditorial de 1904 sur le refuge de la 72e rue et de Broadway.

Mais la charge la plus difficile des architectes était les gares elles-mêmes, des quais étroits dans ce qui était essentiellement un environnement industriel. Leurs ajouts les plus évidents sont les plaques distinctives en terre cuite et les motifs en mosaïque. La station Columbus Circle comprend le Santa Maria, l'un des navires de Columbus, avec des voiles blanches gonflées sur une mer verte avec de minuscules mouettes blanches.

Pour les stations sans liens symboliques évidents, ils ont conçu d'élégantes mosaïques, comme les grands panneaux incurvés des murs de la station West 72nd Street, avec une chaîne de fleurs reliées par une corde rouge.

Le mur de la galerie pour ces œuvres d'art était la finition de base des stations : de jolies bandes de mosaïque de briques de couleur paille, des corniches et des frises en terre cuite et des carreaux blancs vitreux, pour refléter la lumière des voûtes en verre dans les trottoirs au-dessus. Les plafonds sont des réseaux de bandes de plâtre décorées et de plafonniers complexes en fonte affleurant la surface. La pièce maîtresse était la station de l'hôtel de ville en forme de dôme, qui n'est plus en service.

Malgré leur succès, la déception se profile. Heins est décédé en 1907, et les administrateurs de St. John the Divine étaient devenus désenchantés par le caractère médiéval de la conception de 1891 - et aussi par Heins & LaFarge eux-mêmes, estimant qu'ils avaient passé trop de temps sur le contrat de métro. Quatre ans après la mort de Heins, l'architecte gothique Ralph Cram a travaillé en secret pour arracher le contrat de la cathédrale à LaFarge. Il a réorienté le plan du bâtiment pour faire face à l'avenue d'Amsterdam et l'a redessiné dans le gothique.

Selon Andrew Dolkart "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998), LaFarge n'a jamais parlé de sa profonde déception, mais a écrit beaucoup plus tard Cram, qualifiant l'épisode de la cathédrale de "performance graisseuse."

LaFarge - par lui-même et en partenariat avec d'autres - a continué à concevoir une variété de bâtiments, élégants mais souvent plutôt sobres, comme le siège de 1915 Brooks Brothers au 44e et Madison, et la 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, au 122 East 58th Street, une œuvre de la réserve bostonienne. Il est mort en 1938.

Dans les années 1940, le système de métro avait commencé un long déclin. La station voûtée de l'hôtel de ville a fermé en 1945 et les kiosques délicats ont été détruits en 1956. Une lettre au rédacteur en chef du Times de Dan Wallack notait que « deux I.R.T. des kiosques de métro" ont toujours survécu à Columbus Circle, les qualifiant de "monstruosités anachroniques".

Les quais du reste du système ont été brutalement étendus pour accueillir des trains plus longs. Leurs murs de tuiles institutionnels leur donnent l'apparence d'un projet de logement crasseux. Les anciens luminaires à incandescence élégants ont été remplacés par des luminaires fluorescents, et la garniture décorative a été creusée, percée ou simplement démolie.

Un renversement a commencé dans les années 1980, lorsque les architectes Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen ont reproduit l'un des kiosques originaux d'Astor Place. D'autres restaurations ont suivi, comme celles des abris en brique et pierre de Bowling Green et de la West 72nd Street. West 72nd présente également les restaurations les plus récentes et les plus sophistiquées des quais de la gare.

Le système de métro célèbre son centenaire ce mois-ci, et il existe plusieurs liens Web vers des conférences en ligne, des expositions de photos et des activités similaires. Le site Web de la Metropolitan Transportation Authority, www.mta.info, est également relié au New York Transit Museum. Un autre site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, contient des photographies historiques de chaque station d'origine. De nombreuses informations sont également disponibles sur un troisième site, www.nycsubway.org.

Pour la station des rues Bleecker et Lafayette, les architectes du métro, Heins & LaFarge, ont conçu un large médaillon ovale, en faïence émaillée bleu cobalt, avec des lettres blanches. À Astor Place et Fourth Avenue, les murs ont une reproduction d'un castor, une référence au multimillionnaire John Jacob Astor&# x27s début en tant que commerçant de fourrures.

CONSTRUIT -- ADRESSE 1904 -- Rues Bleecker et Lafayette Astor Place et Fourth Avenue. COMMENT S'Y RENDRE -- Train n° 6 jusqu'à Bleecker Street ou Astor Place.


Métro de New York : cette merveille d'ingénierie avait également des architectes

LE système de métro, qui a ouvert ses portes il y a près de 100 ans, le 27 octobre 1904, est l'un des projets d'ingénierie les plus étonnants de New York - des kilomètres et des kilomètres de voies enfilées à travers un réseau dense de fondations de bâtiments, de sous-sols et d'eau, de gaz , conduites électriques et d'égouts. Mais c'était aussi un effort architectural - les kiosques de rue en fer de dentelle, les stations de métro en marbre et en tuiles soignées, les décorations délicates de carreaux de faïence. Et Heins & LaFarge étaient les architectes qui l'ont fait.

George L. Heins et Christopher Grant LaFarge se sont rencontrés en tant qu'étudiants au Massachusetts Institute of Technology vers 1880, puis ont travaillé dans le bureau d'architecture de Cass Gilbert. En 1886, ils fondent leur propre cabinet à New York. Ils ont fait de la conception pour le père de LaFarge, le peintre, artiste de vitraux et muraliste John LaFarge. Mais en 1891, ils n'avaient pas fait grand-chose lorsqu'ils ont soudainement trouvé du pétrole, remportant le concours pour l'église cathédrale de Saint-Jean-le-Dieu à Amsterdam Avenue et 112th Street.

Seuls des fragments de leur conception d'origine survivent - la cathédrale telle que construite est radicalement différente - mais leurs principaux éléments étaient une exposition plein sud, surplombant la ville depuis le site&# x27s high bluff une décoration byzantine de mosaïques et de peintures murales et un grand intérieur large, si différent des modèles gothiques anglais relativement étroits typiques des églises de l'époque.

L'année suivante, ils ont conçu la charmante église villageoise de la 91e rue et de l'avenue West End - maintenant l'église orthodoxe grecque de l'Annonciation. En 1896, ils ont obtenu une autre commande de prune, les bâtiments du zoo du Bronx, des temples néo-classiques pleins d'esprit ornés de têtes d'éléphants, de tortues, de cacatoès et d'autres animaux sauvages. Ils ont ensuite conçu plusieurs maisons de ville inhabituelles, comme la maison Bowen grecque / Renaissance au 5 East 63rd Street (1900) et la maison Bliss au 9 East 68th (1905), avec sa façade à colonnes géantes.

Au printemps 1900, Heins & LaFarge a rencontré le financier August Belmont, chef du consortium qui construisait le premier système de transport en commun souterrain de New York. Belmont a fait don d'une chapelle à St. John the Divine et a peut-être rencontré Heins & LaFarge grâce à cette connexion. En mars suivant, ils ont été nommés architectes pour la première ligne de métro, qui s'étendrait de l'hôtel de ville à Grand Central, en passant par Times Square et jusqu'à Broadway jusqu'à West 145th Street.

Pour un travail d'ingénierie aussi énorme, toute conception architecturale n'était guère plus qu'un habillage de fenêtre - les gares n'étaient même pas autonomes, comme elles le seraient avec un chemin de fer. Les architectes ont conçu les petits kiosques en fonte, en fil de fer et en verre au-dessus du sol aux entrées de la gare, et plusieurs abris en brique et en pierre au-dessus du sol, comme ceux de Bowling Green et de West 72nd Street. Bien que les abris semblent charmants aux yeux des modernes, ils ont été catégoriquement condamnés lors de leur construction. "Une misérable monstruosité quant à l'architecture", a écrit le New York Times dans un éditorial de 1904 sur le refuge de la 72e rue et de Broadway.

Mais la charge la plus difficile des architectes était les gares elles-mêmes, des quais étroits dans ce qui était essentiellement un environnement industriel. Leurs ajouts les plus évidents sont les plaques distinctives en terre cuite et les motifs en mosaïque. La station Columbus Circle comprend le Santa Maria, l'un des navires de Columbus, avec des voiles blanches gonflées sur une mer verte avec de minuscules mouettes blanches.

Pour les stations sans liens symboliques évidents, ils ont conçu d'élégantes mosaïques, comme les grands panneaux incurvés des murs de la station West 72nd Street, avec une chaîne de fleurs reliées par une corde rouge.

Le mur de la galerie pour ces œuvres d'art était la finition de base des stations : de jolies bandes de mosaïque de briques de couleur paille, des corniches et des frises en terre cuite et des carreaux blancs vitreux, pour refléter la lumière des voûtes en verre dans les trottoirs au-dessus. Les plafonds sont des réseaux de bandes de plâtre décorées et de plafonniers complexes en fonte affleurant la surface. La pièce maîtresse était la station de l'hôtel de ville en forme de dôme, qui n'est plus en service.

Malgré leur succès, la déception se profile. Heins est décédé en 1907, et les administrateurs de St. John the Divine étaient devenus désenchantés par le caractère médiéval de la conception de 1891 - et aussi par Heins & LaFarge eux-mêmes, estimant qu'ils avaient passé trop de temps sur le contrat de métro. Quatre ans après la mort de Heins, l'architecte gothique Ralph Cram a travaillé en secret pour arracher le contrat de la cathédrale à LaFarge. Il a réorienté le plan du bâtiment pour faire face à l'avenue d'Amsterdam et l'a redessiné dans le gothique.

Selon Andrew Dolkart "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998), LaFarge n'a jamais parlé de sa profonde déception, mais a écrit beaucoup plus tard Cram, qualifiant l'épisode de la cathédrale de "performance graisseuse."

LaFarge - par lui-même et en partenariat avec d'autres - a continué à concevoir une variété de bâtiments, élégants mais souvent plutôt sobres, comme le siège de 1915 Brooks Brothers au 44e et Madison, et la 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, au 122 East 58th Street, une œuvre de la réserve bostonienne. Il est mort en 1938.

Dans les années 1940, le système de métro avait commencé un long déclin. La station voûtée de l'hôtel de ville a fermé en 1945 et les kiosques délicats ont été détruits en 1956. Une lettre au rédacteur en chef du Times de Dan Wallack notait que « deux I.R.T. des kiosques de métro" ont toujours survécu à Columbus Circle, les qualifiant de "monstruosités anachroniques".

Les quais du reste du système ont été brutalement étendus pour accueillir des trains plus longs. Leurs murs de tuiles institutionnels leur donnent l'apparence d'un projet de logement crasseux. Les anciens luminaires à incandescence élégants ont été remplacés par des luminaires fluorescents, et la garniture décorative a été creusée, percée ou simplement démolie.

Un renversement a commencé dans les années 1980, lorsque les architectes Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen ont reproduit l'un des kiosques originaux d'Astor Place. D'autres restaurations ont suivi, comme celles des abris en brique et pierre de Bowling Green et de la West 72nd Street. West 72nd présente également les restaurations les plus récentes et les plus sophistiquées des quais de la gare.

Le système de métro célèbre son centenaire ce mois-ci, et il existe plusieurs liens Web vers des conférences en ligne, des expositions de photos et des activités similaires. Le site Web de la Metropolitan Transportation Authority, www.mta.info, est également relié au New York Transit Museum. Un autre site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, contient des photographies historiques de chaque station d'origine. De nombreuses informations sont également disponibles sur un troisième site, www.nycsubway.org.

Pour la station des rues Bleecker et Lafayette, les architectes du métro, Heins & LaFarge, ont conçu un large médaillon ovale, en faïence émaillée bleu cobalt, avec des lettres blanches. À Astor Place et Fourth Avenue, les murs ont une reproduction d'un castor, une référence au multimillionnaire John Jacob Astor&# x27s début en tant que commerçant de fourrures.

CONSTRUIT -- ADRESSE 1904 -- Rues Bleecker et Lafayette Astor Place et Fourth Avenue. COMMENT S'Y RENDRE -- Train n° 6 jusqu'à Bleecker Street ou Astor Place.


Métro de New York : cette merveille d'ingénierie avait également des architectes

LE système de métro, qui a ouvert ses portes il y a près de 100 ans, le 27 octobre 1904, est l'un des projets d'ingénierie les plus étonnants de New York - des kilomètres et des kilomètres de voies enfilées à travers un réseau dense de fondations de bâtiments, de sous-sols et d'eau, de gaz , conduites électriques et d'égouts. Mais c'était aussi un effort architectural - les kiosques de rue en fer de dentelle, les stations de métro en marbre et en tuiles soignées, les décorations délicates de carreaux de faïence. Et Heins & LaFarge étaient les architectes qui l'ont fait.

George L. Heins et Christopher Grant LaFarge se sont rencontrés en tant qu'étudiants au Massachusetts Institute of Technology vers 1880, puis ont travaillé dans le bureau d'architecture de Cass Gilbert. En 1886, ils fondent leur propre cabinet à New York. Ils ont fait de la conception pour le père de LaFarge, le peintre, artiste de vitraux et muraliste John LaFarge. Mais en 1891, ils n'avaient pas fait grand-chose lorsqu'ils ont soudainement trouvé du pétrole, remportant le concours pour l'église cathédrale de Saint-Jean-le-Dieu à Amsterdam Avenue et 112th Street.

Seuls des fragments de leur conception d'origine survivent - la cathédrale telle que construite est radicalement différente - mais leurs principaux éléments étaient une exposition plein sud, surplombant la ville depuis le site&# x27s high bluff une décoration byzantine de mosaïques et de peintures murales et un grand intérieur large, si différent des modèles gothiques anglais relativement étroits typiques des églises de l'époque.

L'année suivante, ils ont conçu la charmante église villageoise de la 91e rue et de l'avenue West End - maintenant l'église orthodoxe grecque de l'Annonciation. En 1896, ils ont obtenu une autre commande de prune, les bâtiments du zoo du Bronx, des temples néo-classiques pleins d'esprit ornés de têtes d'éléphants, de tortues, de cacatoès et d'autres animaux sauvages. Ils ont ensuite conçu plusieurs maisons de ville inhabituelles, comme la maison Bowen grecque / Renaissance au 5 East 63rd Street (1900) et la maison Bliss au 9 East 68th (1905), avec sa façade à colonnes géantes.

Au printemps 1900, Heins & LaFarge a rencontré le financier August Belmont, chef du consortium qui construisait le premier système de transport en commun souterrain de New York. Belmont a fait don d'une chapelle à St. John the Divine et a peut-être rencontré Heins & LaFarge grâce à cette connexion. En mars suivant, ils ont été nommés architectes pour la première ligne de métro, qui s'étendrait de l'hôtel de ville à Grand Central, en passant par Times Square et jusqu'à Broadway jusqu'à West 145th Street.

Pour un travail d'ingénierie aussi énorme, toute conception architecturale n'était guère plus qu'un habillage de fenêtre - les gares n'étaient même pas autonomes, comme elles le seraient avec un chemin de fer. Les architectes ont conçu les petits kiosques en fonte, en fil de fer et en verre au-dessus du sol aux entrées de la gare, et plusieurs abris en brique et en pierre au-dessus du sol, comme ceux de Bowling Green et de West 72nd Street. Bien que les abris semblent charmants aux yeux des modernes, ils ont été catégoriquement condamnés lors de leur construction. "Une misérable monstruosité quant à l'architecture", a écrit le New York Times dans un éditorial de 1904 sur le refuge de la 72e rue et de Broadway.

Mais la charge la plus difficile des architectes était les gares elles-mêmes, des quais étroits dans ce qui était essentiellement un environnement industriel. Leurs ajouts les plus évidents sont les plaques distinctives en terre cuite et les motifs en mosaïque. La station Columbus Circle comprend le Santa Maria, l'un des navires de Columbus, avec des voiles blanches gonflées sur une mer verte avec de minuscules mouettes blanches.

Pour les stations sans liens symboliques évidents, ils ont conçu d'élégantes mosaïques, comme les grands panneaux incurvés des murs de la station West 72nd Street, avec une chaîne de fleurs reliées par une corde rouge.

Le mur de la galerie pour ces œuvres d'art était la finition de base des stations : de jolies bandes de mosaïque de briques de couleur paille, des corniches et des frises en terre cuite et des carreaux blancs vitreux, pour refléter la lumière des voûtes en verre dans les trottoirs au-dessus. Les plafonds sont des réseaux de bandes de plâtre décorées et de plafonniers complexes en fonte affleurant la surface. La pièce maîtresse était la station de l'hôtel de ville en forme de dôme, qui n'est plus en service.

Malgré leur succès, la déception se profile. Heins est décédé en 1907, et les administrateurs de St. John the Divine étaient devenus désenchantés par le caractère médiéval de la conception de 1891 - et aussi par Heins & LaFarge eux-mêmes, estimant qu'ils avaient passé trop de temps sur le contrat de métro. Quatre ans après la mort de Heins, l'architecte gothique Ralph Cram a travaillé en secret pour arracher le contrat de la cathédrale à LaFarge. Il a réorienté le plan du bâtiment pour faire face à l'avenue d'Amsterdam et l'a redessiné dans le gothique.

Selon Andrew Dolkart "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998), LaFarge n'a jamais parlé de sa profonde déception, mais a écrit beaucoup plus tard Cram, qualifiant l'épisode de la cathédrale de "performance graisseuse."

LaFarge - par lui-même et en partenariat avec d'autres - a continué à concevoir une variété de bâtiments, élégants mais souvent plutôt sobres, comme le siège de 1915 Brooks Brothers au 44e et Madison, et la 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, au 122 East 58th Street, une œuvre de la réserve bostonienne. Il est mort en 1938.

Dans les années 1940, le système de métro avait commencé un long déclin. La station voûtée de l'hôtel de ville a fermé en 1945 et les kiosques délicats ont été détruits en 1956. Une lettre au rédacteur en chef du Times de Dan Wallack notait que « deux I.R.T. des kiosques de métro" ont toujours survécu à Columbus Circle, les qualifiant de "monstruosités anachroniques".

Les quais du reste du système ont été brutalement étendus pour accueillir des trains plus longs. Leurs murs de tuiles institutionnels leur donnent l'apparence d'un projet de logement crasseux. Les anciens luminaires à incandescence élégants ont été remplacés par des luminaires fluorescents, et la garniture décorative a été creusée, percée ou simplement démolie.

Un renversement a commencé dans les années 1980, lorsque les architectes Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen ont reproduit l'un des kiosques originaux d'Astor Place. D'autres restaurations ont suivi, comme celles des abris en brique et pierre de Bowling Green et de la West 72nd Street. West 72nd présente également les restaurations les plus récentes et les plus sophistiquées des quais de la gare.

Le système de métro célèbre son centenaire ce mois-ci, et il existe plusieurs liens Web vers des conférences en ligne, des expositions de photos et des activités similaires. Le site Web de la Metropolitan Transportation Authority, www.mta.info, est également relié au New York Transit Museum. Un autre site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, contient des photographies historiques de chaque station d'origine. De nombreuses informations sont également disponibles sur un troisième site, www.nycsubway.org.

Pour la station des rues Bleecker et Lafayette, les architectes du métro, Heins & LaFarge, ont conçu un large médaillon ovale, en faïence émaillée bleu cobalt, avec des lettres blanches. À Astor Place et Fourth Avenue, les murs ont une reproduction d'un castor, une référence au multimillionnaire John Jacob Astor&# x27s début en tant que commerçant de fourrures.

CONSTRUIT -- ADRESSE 1904 -- Rues Bleecker et Lafayette Astor Place et Fourth Avenue. COMMENT S'Y RENDRE -- Train n° 6 jusqu'à Bleecker Street ou Astor Place.


Métro de New York : cette merveille d'ingénierie avait également des architectes

LE système de métro, qui a ouvert ses portes il y a près de 100 ans, le 27 octobre 1904, est l'un des projets d'ingénierie les plus étonnants de New York - des kilomètres et des kilomètres de voies enfilées à travers un réseau dense de fondations de bâtiments, de sous-sols et d'eau, de gaz , conduites électriques et d'égouts. Mais c'était aussi un effort architectural - les kiosques de rue en fer de dentelle, les stations de métro en marbre et en tuiles soignées, les décorations délicates de carreaux de faïence. Et Heins & LaFarge étaient les architectes qui l'ont fait.

George L. Heins et Christopher Grant LaFarge se sont rencontrés en tant qu'étudiants au Massachusetts Institute of Technology vers 1880, puis ont travaillé dans le bureau d'architecture de Cass Gilbert. En 1886, ils fondent leur propre cabinet à New York. Ils ont fait de la conception pour le père de LaFarge, le peintre, artiste de vitraux et muraliste John LaFarge. Mais en 1891, ils n'avaient pas fait grand-chose lorsqu'ils ont soudainement trouvé du pétrole, remportant le concours pour l'église cathédrale de Saint-Jean-le-Dieu à Amsterdam Avenue et 112th Street.

Seuls des fragments de leur conception d'origine survivent - la cathédrale telle que construite est radicalement différente - mais leurs principaux éléments étaient une exposition plein sud, surplombant la ville depuis le site&# x27s high bluff une décoration byzantine de mosaïques et de peintures murales et un grand intérieur large, si différent des modèles gothiques anglais relativement étroits typiques des églises de l'époque.

L'année suivante, ils ont conçu la charmante église villageoise de la 91e rue et de l'avenue West End - maintenant l'église orthodoxe grecque de l'Annonciation. En 1896, ils ont obtenu une autre commande de prune, les bâtiments du zoo du Bronx, des temples néo-classiques pleins d'esprit ornés de têtes d'éléphants, de tortues, de cacatoès et d'autres animaux sauvages. Ils ont ensuite conçu plusieurs maisons de ville inhabituelles, comme la maison Bowen grecque / Renaissance au 5 East 63rd Street (1900) et la maison Bliss au 9 East 68th (1905), avec sa façade à colonnes géantes.

Au printemps 1900, Heins & LaFarge a rencontré le financier August Belmont, chef du consortium qui construisait le premier système de transport en commun souterrain de New York. Belmont a fait don d'une chapelle à St. John the Divine et a peut-être rencontré Heins & LaFarge grâce à cette connexion. En mars suivant, ils ont été nommés architectes pour la première ligne de métro, qui s'étendrait de l'hôtel de ville à Grand Central, en passant par Times Square et jusqu'à Broadway jusqu'à West 145th Street.

Pour un travail d'ingénierie aussi énorme, toute conception architecturale n'était guère plus qu'un habillage de fenêtre - les gares n'étaient même pas autonomes, comme elles le seraient avec un chemin de fer. Les architectes ont conçu les petits kiosques en fonte, en fil de fer et en verre au-dessus du sol aux entrées de la gare, et plusieurs abris en brique et en pierre au-dessus du sol, comme ceux de Bowling Green et de West 72nd Street. Bien que les abris semblent charmants aux yeux des modernes, ils ont été catégoriquement condamnés lors de leur construction. "Une misérable monstruosité quant à l'architecture", a écrit le New York Times dans un éditorial de 1904 sur le refuge de la 72e rue et de Broadway.

Mais la charge la plus difficile des architectes était les gares elles-mêmes, des quais étroits dans ce qui était essentiellement un environnement industriel. Leurs ajouts les plus évidents sont les plaques distinctives en terre cuite et les motifs en mosaïque. La station Columbus Circle comprend le Santa Maria, l'un des navires de Columbus, avec des voiles blanches gonflées sur une mer verte avec de minuscules mouettes blanches.

Pour les stations sans liens symboliques évidents, ils ont conçu d'élégantes mosaïques, comme les grands panneaux incurvés des murs de la station West 72nd Street, avec une chaîne de fleurs reliées par une corde rouge.

Le mur de la galerie pour ces œuvres d'art était la finition de base des stations : de jolies bandes de mosaïque de briques de couleur paille, des corniches et des frises en terre cuite et des carreaux blancs vitreux, pour refléter la lumière des voûtes en verre dans les trottoirs au-dessus. Les plafonds sont des réseaux de bandes de plâtre décorées et de plafonniers complexes en fonte affleurant la surface. La pièce maîtresse était la station de l'hôtel de ville en forme de dôme, qui n'est plus en service.

Malgré leur succès, la déception se profile. Heins est décédé en 1907, et les administrateurs de St. John the Divine étaient devenus désenchantés par le caractère médiéval de la conception de 1891 - et aussi par Heins & LaFarge eux-mêmes, estimant qu'ils avaient passé trop de temps sur le contrat de métro. Quatre ans après la mort de Heins, l'architecte gothique Ralph Cram a travaillé en secret pour arracher le contrat de la cathédrale à LaFarge. Il a réorienté le plan du bâtiment pour faire face à l'avenue d'Amsterdam et l'a redessiné dans le gothique.

Selon Andrew Dolkart "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998), LaFarge n'a jamais parlé de sa profonde déception, mais a écrit beaucoup plus tard Cram, qualifiant l'épisode de la cathédrale de "performance graisseuse."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. At Astor Place and Fourth Avenue, the walls have a reproduction of a beaver, a reference to the multimillionaire John Jacob Astor's start as a fur trader.

BUILT -- 1904 ADDRESS -- Bleecker and Lafayette Streets Astor Place and Fourth Avenue. HOW TO GET THERE -- No. 6 train to Bleecker Street or Astor Place.


New York's Subway: That Engineering Marvel Also Had Architects

THE subway system, which opened nearly 100 years ago, on Oct. 27, 1904, is one of New York's most astonishing engineering projects -- miles and miles of track strung through a dense network of building foundations, basements and water, gas, electric and sewage lines. But it was also an architectural effort --the lacy iron street kiosks, the careful marble and tile subway stations, the delicate faience tile decorations. And Heins & LaFarge were the architects who did it.

George L. Heins and Christopher Grant LaFarge met as students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1880 and then worked in the architectural office of Cass Gilbert. In 1886, they set up their own New York practice. They did some designing for LaFarge's father, the painter, stained-glass artist and muralist John LaFarge. But by 1891, they had done little of note when they suddenly struck oil, winning the competition for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine at Amsterdam Avenue and 112th Street.

Only fragments of their original design survive -- the cathedral as built is drastically different -- but their principal elements were a south-facing exposure, looking down over the city from the site's high bluff a Byzantine decoration of mosaics and murals and a great wide interior, so unlike the relatively narrow English Gothic models typical for churches at that time.

The next year, they designed the lovely villagelike church at 91st Street and West End Avenue -- now the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. In 1896 they got another plum commission, the buildings of the Bronx Zoo, witty neo-Classical temples festooned with heads of elephants, turtles, cockatoos and other wildlife. They later designed several unusual town houses, like the Greek/Renaissance Bowen house at 5 East 63rd Street (1900) and the Bliss house at 9 East 68th (1905), with its giant-columned facade.

In the spring of 1900, Heins & LaFarge met the financier August Belmont, head of the consortium that was building New York's first underground mass transit system. Belmont donated a chapel to St. John the Divine and may have encountered Heins & LaFarge through that connection. The following March, they were appointed architects for the first subway line, to run from City Hall to Grand Central, across to Times Square, and up Broadway to West 145th Street.

For such a huge work of engineering, any architectural design was little more than window dressing -- the stations were not even free-standing, as they would be with a railroad. The architects did design the little cast iron, wire and glass kiosks aboveground at the station entrances, and several aboveground brick and stone shelters, like those at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. Although the shelters look charming to modern eyes, they were roundly condemned when built. "A miserable monstrosity as to architecture," The New York Times wrote in a 1904 editorial about the shelter at 72nd Street and Broadway.

But the architects' toughest charge was the stations themselves, narrow platforms in what was essentially an industrial environment. Their most obvious additions are the distinctive terra cotta plaques and mosaic designs. The Columbus Circle station features the Santa Maria, one of Columbus's ships, with billowing white sails on a green sea with tiny white seagulls.

For stations without obvious symbolic connections, they designed elegant mosaic work, like the great curved panels in the walls of the West 72nd Street station, with a chain of flowers connected by red rope.

The gallery wall for these artworks was the stations' basic finish: lovely straw-colored iron-spot brick mosaic bands and terra cotta cornices and friezes and glassy white tile, to reflect light from glass vaults in the sidewalks above. The ceilings are networks of decorated plaster strips and intricate cast-iron ceiling fixtures flush with the surface. The centerpiece was the domed City Hall station, no longer in service.

Despite their success, disappointment loomed. Heins died in 1907, and the trustees of St. John the Divine had become disenchanted with the medieval character of the 1891 design -- and also with Heins & LaFarge themselves, believing they had spent too much time on the subway contract. Four years after Heins's death, the Gothicist architect Ralph Cram worked in secret to wrest the cathedral contract away from LaFarge. He reoriented the building plan to face Amsterdam Avenue and restyled it in the Gothic.

According to Andrew Dolkart's "Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development" (Columbia University Press, 1998) LaFarge never spoke of his profound disappointment, but much later wrote Cram, calling the cathedral episode a "greasy performance."

LaFarge -- by himself and in partnership with others -- went on to design a variety of buildings, elegant but often rather spare, like the 1915 Brooks Brothers headquarters at 44th and Madison, and the 1929 New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, at 122 East 58th Street, a work of Bostonian reserve. He died in 1938.

By the 1940's, the subway system had begun a long decline. The vaulted City Hall station closed in 1945, and the delicate kiosks were destroyed in 1956 a letter to the editor of The Times from Dan Wallack noted that "two ugly, grimy I.R.T. subway kiosks" still survived at Columbus Circle, calling them "anachronistic monstrosities."

The platforms in the rest of the system were brutally extended to accommodate longer trains their institutional tile walls give them the look of a grubby housing project. The elegant old incandescent fixtures were replaced by fluorescent ones, and the decorative trim was gouged, drilled or simply demolished.

A reversal began in the 1980's, when the architects Prentice & Chan, Ohlhausen replicated one of the original kiosks at Astor Place. Other restorations have followed, like those of the brick and stone shelters at Bowling Green and West 72nd Street. West 72nd also features the latest and most sophisticated of the station platform restorations.

The subway system celebrates its centennial this month, and there are several Web links to online narrated gallery talks, photo exhibitions and similar activities. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Web site, www.mta.info, also connects to the New York Transit Museum. Another site, www-tech.mit.edu/Subway, has historical photographs of every original station. There is also a great deal of information on a third site, www.nycsubway.org.

For the station at Bleecker and Lafayette Streets, the subway's architects, Heins & LaFarge, designed a broad oval medallion, glazed faience in cobalt blue, with white letters. À Astor Place et Fourth Avenue, les murs ont une reproduction d'un castor, une référence au multimillionnaire John Jacob Astor&# x27s début en tant que commerçant de fourrures.

CONSTRUIT -- ADRESSE 1904 -- Rues Bleecker et Lafayette Astor Place et Fourth Avenue. COMMENT S'Y RENDRE -- Train n° 6 jusqu'à Bleecker Street ou Astor Place.


Voir la vidéo: Ecobati Arlon 2